A5 – M1 Link Set To Open
A5 – M1 Link Set To Open
Traffic bulletin: A5-M1 link road and new M1 junction 11A open to traffic in Bedfordshire
The new road which links the A5 with the M1 via a new junction in Bedfordshire, will open to traffic tomorrow morning (11th May 2017).
The 2.8 mile dual carriageway, which will be open by 6am, will become part of the A5. The new M1 junction 11A, which will connect the new road and Central Bedfordshire Council’s new Woodside Link road to the M1, will also open at the same time.
The scheme includes two other new junctions and six new bridges.
The M1, which has had lane restrictions during the construction of the new road, will have been restored to full capacity by that time, including the use of the hard shoulder as a traffic lane at peak times.
Drivers should note that the national speed limit will apply on the new, dualled section of the A5.
Drivers are urged to take extra care as the road layout has changed with the introduction of new slip roads and the new junction. With the renewed use of the hard shoulder as a traffic lane, overhead message signs on the M1 will also start displaying variable speed limit messages instead of the temporary 50 mph speed which was in place during construction.
The new road replaces a section of the A5 through Dunstable which is being handed over to Central Bedfordshire Council and Hertfordshire County Council. Some minor work including the completion of new sign installation will need to take place after the new road is opened and the old section handed over to the council. Single lanes will be closed for this to be done safely.
For the information about the A5-M1 Link scheme, visit http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/A5-M1-Link-Dunstable-Northern-Bypass.
Highways England provides up-to-date traffic information via its website www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information, local and national radio travel bulletins, electronic road signs and mobile platforms.
M1 And Woodside Links Provide £2bn Boost For Businesses
- Youth Rangers Needed For Houghton Hall Park
- Central Bedfordshire Council Recommends Changes To Bin Collections Following Residents Feedback
- C4’s Location Location Location Looking For Property Hunters In Bedfordshire
- Sally The Dunstable Witch Heading For The Big Screen
- LEGO Adventure Awaits At The Mall Luton
- Iconic Chalk Lion Restored At ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Council Issues Fines For Lorries Flouting Local Weight Restrictions
- Dog Kennels Pleads Guilty to Animal Welfare Offences
- Dunstable Take Away Nominated For Prestigious National Award
- PAW Patrol At ZSL Whipsnade Zoo This Easter